Gecko Press, founded in 2005, is an independent
publisher of curiously good books. We translate and publish children's
books by some of the world's best writers and illustrators. We choose
books that are excellent in story, illustration and design, with a
strong 'heart factor'.
Gecko Press hand-picks 12-15 titles each year. Of these, two or three
are books original to Gecko Press, typically by New
Zealand writers and illustrators. Our list currently stands at 70
titles, ranging from board books through to pre-teen novels, from
countries including France, Taiwan, Sweden, Japan, Germany, New Zealand,
Poland and the Netherlands.
Gecko Press books are available through our online shop, and are distributed in New Zealand by
Random House New Zealand; in Australia by Scholastic; in the US by Lerner; and in the UK by Bounce! Sales and Marketing.
Gecko Press books are distributed in New Zealand by
Random House New Zealand; in Australia by Scholastic; in the US by Lerner; and in the UK by Bounce! Sales and Marketing. You can also buy our books at our online shop.
- Best Children's Publisher of the Year in Oceania at Bologna International Children's Bookfair 2013
- New Zealand Thorpe-Bowker Publisher of the Year 2008; Runner up 2010; Finalist 2011; Finalist 2012
- New Zealand Post Children's Book Awards 2010, Children's Choice Junior Fiction, Friends: Snake and Lizard
- Winner Creative Gold Wellington regional business Gold Awards, 2010
- Finalist Wellington regional business Gold Awards, 2009
- Sunday Star-Times NZ Children's Publisher of the Year 2008
- New Zealand Post Children's Book of the Year 2008, Snake and Lizard
'Inspirational publishing ... their current list is adventurous and dynamic.'
'[Gecko Press's] production values are exemplary.'
Kate de Goldi, Radio New Zealand
'It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas that seems so obvious - in hindsight.'
New Zealand Herald
'There is a robust nature to the books
[Gecko Press] has published, a strength, a quirkiness, and a depth that
we have lacked ... We have customers who seek out Gecko books ahead of
John McIntyre, Children's Bookshop and National Radio reviewer